The rustic theme has steadily become more common for weddings over the course of the last few years. The relaxed atmosphere and elegant ambiance is appealing to couples that would prefer a comfortable and fun celebration over a stiff and lavish one. Have you been considering a rustic themed wedding for yourself? Feeling as though you could use some direction? For your convenience, we decided to create a list of necessary considerations in order to make your wedding the rustic celebration of your dreams.
- Choose the perfect venue. For rustic weddings, simplicity is key. A laid back ceremony that takes place in a back yard or a barn will create a more casual environment that exemplifies the rustic theme. Incorporating the outdoors in any way will give your wedding a refreshing country vibe- whether it takes place on a shoreline, the countryside, or in the mountains. Open spaces such as wineries or modest locations such as quaint inns and bed and breakfasts will also serve as wonderful venues. The natural beauty and charm of these locations adds a magical air to the celebration, and will serve as an incredible backdrop to your nuptials.
- Choose appropriate décor. Decorations are important for putting a personal touch on your wedding. Incorporating lace, burlap, distressed wood, antiques, and mason jars will allow you to enhance the rustic ambiance that’s already set by your choice of venue. Take on DIY projects to make the decorations reflect you personally, and consider using twinkle lights and lanterns as your light fixtures. Implementing a vintage feel does not take away from the elegance of your wedding, but rather gives it an ethereal beauty that emulates simpler times.
- Select the right dress. An over-the-top, fancy dress would look out of place at a rustic themed wedding. Make sure that your dress and the dresses of your bridesmaids reflect your vision for your wedding, and look at simple, vintage-looking dresses. A helpful hint – lace embellishments look phenomenal in a rustic setting, so bear that in mind while you’re dress shopping.
- Choose a great wedding photographer. Pick a wedding photographer that understands your vision. The essence of a rustic wedding is that it is a more relaxed and fun gathering than the extravagant weddings you see on T.V. You’ll want to pick a photographer that understands this and will work with you to capture your wedding exactly as you want to remember it. Not just a series of stiff poses in a pre-determined location, but rather a celebration of life and love amongst friends and family. If you’re in the Connecticut area and looking for a photographer with the right eye for a rustic celebration, Heather Ellicott Photography.
- Throw an unforgettable reception. Make sure your choice of foods, music and seating arrangements match your existing theme for the reception. Your food and drink selection should be simple and delicious, perhaps resembling a country style home-cooked meal. As for musical options, an acoustic live act would bring the optimal amount of life and fun to your celebration. If this is not something you would be interested in, however, then the ultimate rustic wedding playlist may contain powerful instrumentals and danceable oldies. Look to musicians such as Van Morrison, Mumford and Sons, and Otis Redding to create a happy tone to the night and keep your guests dancing until the very last minute. Lastly, the seating arrangements are something that you have the freedom to divert from the conventional with. Allowing guests to seat themselves, or arranging one large table for the whole reception would uphold the intimate setting that is so special to rustic weddings.
Rustic weddings done right are unique, memorable events. It takes the emphasis away from impressing your guests and shifts it to genuinely enjoying their company. The important thing to remember with planning rustic weddings is that they are, by nature, simple – so don’t stress over your special day!